People have standards because it is a basis of comparison whether with regards to morals, ethics, lifestyle etcetera. ’Rule’, principle’ ‘ideal’ and other words that have a positive meaning could be associated with the word ‘standard’. Nonetheless, in the area of dating, when do these standards get in the way of a potential relationship? Are your dating standards too high?
Either subconsciously or consciously, everyone has desired qualities for the people who we want to meet. The basis of comparison is referred to as standards. If we tweak the definition a little bit and make it into a requirement set for the people that we would like to meet, this is now what we refer to a dating standard. In order to show these types of standards, below are several examples:
1. Date an individual who is financially stable. 2.I would only date someone who is unselfish.
3. Go out with an individual if we have compatible personalities.
4. I will just go out with someone who is mentally mature.
This checklist could go on and on but in the meantime, let's discuss the ones mentioned above.
When you interpret these 4 standards differently, then they could be unrealistic:
1. I would only date someone with a dependable career that makes 6 figures.
2. Only going out somebody if he/she thinks I am the most important individual on the planet.
3. I will just date someone who has a compatible personality with mine - I have a list.
4. Just dating somebody if he/she is mature emotionally and understands me completely.
Even if we're sometimes not aware that we interpret them this way, it makes the above-mentioned dating standards somewhat too high.
What to do
If you’ve found yourself thinking about the dating standards you have, please, do a truthful assessment. With regards to making your dating standards, it is crucial to be realistic and honest. When you do that then you won’t have unreasonable dating standards. This would really increase your chances of getting a better viewpoint on things and of finding a partner that would also do the same for you.
Whatever standards you might have, just take into account that they must be reasonable. It's also essential to bear in mind that your dating standards should measure up to you so before making an analysis of yourself, be fair and truthful. It's actually not bad to have standards. Just remember not to make them too high…nor too low for that matter.