Standards - everybody has them and they're important in this community since they keep things in order and, basically, tell us what is right and what is bad. ’Standard’ is a word which has a positive meaning and can be associated with other words like ‘rule’, ‘principle’, and ‘ideal’. But when it comes to dating and having a partnership, could your standards get in the way? Do you have unrealistic standards in dating?
Either subconsciously or consciously, we all have ideal characteristics for the individuals that we would like to meet. Standards are used as the basis of judgment. But with regards to the requirements of individuals we would like to date and possibly have a relationship with, this is referred to as dating standards. Listed here are a few examples which clearly depict these types of standards:
1. Date a person who is financially stable.
2. I will only go out with someone who is unselfish.
3. I would only date someone who has a compatible personality with mine.
4. Date an individual who is mature mentally.
Believe us when we say that the list continues so let’s just stick to these four.
While the four standards stated previously aren't too much, they can be entirely different if you interpret them this way:
1. Date an individual who earns 6 figures at least.
2. Go out with a person who always puts me first.
3. I would only go out with someone who has a compatible personality with mine - I have a checklist.
4. Just going out with someone if she/he is mature emotionally and understands me completely.
We know that these sound ridiculous, but most of the time, we're completely not aware that we interpret our dating standards this way, allowing them to become unreasonable dating standards.
The solution is not to make your dating standards too high. Be honest with yourself if you’ve found your dating standards to be too high or to be unreasonable. If you do this, you can simply bring your standards down into a more realistic level. This could greatly increase your chances of getting a better perspective on things and of finding a companion who would also do the same for you.
Don't forget that no matter what your dating standards are, they must not be too high. It is also essential to keep in mind that your dating standards must measure up to you so prior to making an analysis of yourself, be fair and honest. Having standards isn't bad, not at all. They just have to be reasonable, mature and truthful.